PLACES AROUND THE WORLD TO PRACTICE YOUR FRENCH (OTHER THAN FRANCE)

PLACES AROUND THE WORLD TO PRACTICE YOUR FRENCH (OTHER THAN FRANCE)

Parlez-vous Francais? Looking for somewhere abroad to practice your lingo? Why not take a trip to somewhere a little off the beaten track? There are 16 countries in the world in which French is an official language. If you’ve been to France and want to experience somewhere a little different, why not try one of these alternative locations and get to tick another country of your travel list! practice-french

Belgium

French is spoken widely in Belgium alongside Dutch, German and Flemish. It’s a short flight from the UK  and from many other European cities, making it great for a weekend venture.

The country is known largely for its chocolate, art and rich history. Bruges and the country’s capital Brussels are well worth a trip, offering great cuisine and many historic buildings. Battlefield trips are very popular and there are many vast cemeteries dedicated to the fallen soldiers of WW1, as well as the famous Menin Gate memorial in Ypres.

practice-french

Canada

Whilst most of Canada speaks English, the populous province of Quebec still speaks French. Much of the architecture has a European charm and the landscapes are particularly stunning. Montmorency Falls is a waterfall 30 metres higher than Niagara known to freeze in the winter. Old Quebec is great places to stay, offering many restaurants, horse-drawn carriage rides and street entertainment around every corner. It’s also home to the Chateau Frontenac – the world’s most photographed hotel.

practice-french

Morocco

For a taste of Northern Africa, why not try Morocco? Although Arabic is the official language, a third of the population speak French and it is viewed as their business language. You can take an organised tour out to the vast and expansive plains of the Sahara or enjoy the vibrant hustle-and-bustle of one of the country’s many historical cities. You can rent out a luxury villa or – as the French call it – ‘Ville de Luxe’ in Marrakesh, and explore the bazaars and narrow streets. Being a Muslim country, there are also many impressive mosques, something you don’t get to see in Europe often!

practice-french

Switzerland

A fantastic skiing destination, Switzerland is situated right in the heart of the Alps and has some of the most scenic views you’re likely to experience anywhere in the world. French is spoken largely in the west, German spoken mainly in the east, with some Italian speakers also living in the south. Its windy road make it the perfect country for renting a car. Don’t forget to try the cheese!

practice-french

Haiti

The beautiful Caribbean island of Haiti has long been avoided due to its high crime rates and political unrest, however this is swiftly changing and it has become a popular destination for tourism in the last few years. Among its many attractions are Sans-Souci Palace, Jacmel and the Bassins Bleu waterfalls. White sand beaches and a perfect blue make it a perfect holiday destination for French speakers (although beware – their dialect is very different!). Carnivals should also be looked out for, as well as many of the country’s vodou art.

So, what about you? Have you ever thought or traveled abroad to practice a language you love? Let us know in the comment section below.

Featured Image  Brussels  Canada  Morocco  Switzerland  Haiti

1. November 22, 2016 / 5:50 pm

What a great idea my dear Helene! I never though of all these places to visit in order to practice my Franch! I would love to is it Morocco!! But you know me, whenever I am ready to book a trip/flight, I usually end up going to Paris again and again and again! <3 Morocco is high on my bucket list this year!
    Thanks for sharing, hope you are having an amazing week so far!
    Love,
    Stella

2. December 4, 2016 / 3:08 pm

I can’t speak a word in French but I’d love to visit all of these countries (funny cuz France is not on my travel list). I def like to travel to the UK to listen to and practise English :))

3. December 4, 2016 / 3:47 pm

Lovely post! Some of these places I would never have considered as a French speaking destination, thanks for sharing x

December 4, 2016 / 5:55 pm

Wow french is spoken in so many countries! I wanted to start learning french on the upper secondary school, but I never managed to start the course, I kind of regret it now haha 😀

~ Jasmin N
    littlethingswithjassy.blogspot.fi

5. December 4, 2016 / 7:09 pm

I never knew that there was a lot of French speakers in Morocco, I can only speak a little French so I’d hope that I said the right thing if I was to visit any of these countries as its been a while since my last French convo 🙂

6. Eirini
    December 13, 2016 / 12:22 pm

So many beautiful places around the world! I would choose Morocco for sure.

7. July 10, 2017 / 12:32 pm

The French language has always been very dear to my heart, and I was surprised to find in South Africa a lot of French speakers, most of them not native to South Africa but from other African countries where the French had colonies, I even had a teacher from Cameroon! A very enriching experience; learnt a lot from him 🙂

8. July 10, 2017 / 1:01 pm

I only remember a small amount of French from school I’d love to speak more of it, might have to take a trip 😊

9. July 10, 2017 / 2:55 pm

That picture of Switzerland just convinced me again that I need to visit the country.

10. July 10, 2017 / 10:56 pm

I need to up my French language game. I usually speak Spanish as my second language but it would be nice to pick up French as another language. This would help for the times I travel to the countries in your list I would have an idea what people are saying to me.

11. Tereza
    July 11, 2017 / 7:29 am

What a lovely post Helene! I honestly love your blog more and more with each post. I think you’re an excellent travel writer and have brilliant ideas for topics! Also – I studied French for 2 years and I can say is that my name is Tereza, I have a black cat and I’m looking for toilets. Meh hahaha.

12. Sharon Chanyau
    July 11, 2017 / 2:01 pm

I learnt some French in high school but now i only can remember a few words. There are also African countries that have French as part of their national langauge about 21 in total if i am not mistaken. Eg. Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Mali etc. Great posts and it has beautiful images. The Swirtzerland one my fav.

13. July 11, 2017 / 10:19 pm

I have always loved the travel pics of Morocco, makes me wanna go there. But french is definitely not my language to communicate. What would you suggest for a persona like me who wants to travel such places but have a language issue. After all your blog post well describes how wonderful the experience could be, if you travel to these destinations.