BE SAFE, NOT SORRY: HOW TO MAKE TRAVELLING LESS FRIGHTENING

BE SAFE, NOT SORRY: HOW TO MAKE TRAVELLING LESS FRIGHTENING

Traveling really can be a wonderful experience. It’s the sort of thing that everyone should experience at least once in their lives, if not more. It brings out the best in people, helps them discover themselves, and offers them a new perspective on the world around them. However, there are those who feel a little nervous when the idea of traveling comes up. Okay, maybe more than a little! This is pretty understandable really, after all, traveling involved stepping outside of your comfort zone in a very literal way. You don’t know what to expect, and there are almost always things that could potentially go wrong. But you shouldn’t let fear stand between you and some amazing experiences. With that in mind, here are some things that you can do to make the idea of traveling a little less scary.

Don’t go too far

If you’re still feeling a little worried about the idea of traveling to a new place, then it’s better to dip your toe in the water rather than to leap straight in. Why not pick a destination that’s a little closer to home? Even within your own country.

Make-Travelling-Less-Frightening

Go in a group

If you’re feeling particularly nervous, then it really does help to have some more experienced travel companions with you. Traveling alone can be a genuine thrill, but it’s certainly not for everyone, especially if you’re already feeling pretty nervous about traveling anyway. Going in a group not only means that you’re safer in a new place, but it gives you a sense of the familiar when you’re in a completely new place.

Travel to safe places

It’s definitely true that some places are safer to travel to than other. Whether it’s security or simply the local wildlife, some of the most exciting and beautiful places in the world can be pretty scary for a lot of people. One of the best things to do is to find places with visa systems in place, that way you can be sure there’s a premium placed on border security and safety. Australia and Canada both have this system, and Europe is introducing a similar version soon called the ETIAS, you can visit the site if you want to find more information. Countries and continents that use these kinds of systems are often much more likely to be safe for you than other, less secure regions.

Make-Travelling-Less-Frightening

Be prepared

The best way to avoid anything going wrong on your travels is simply to be as prepared as possible. Make sure that you have all of your correct documentation as well as any emergency contact numbers that you might need. Be sure to exchange your money in advance but also take along a debit or credit card so that you’re never left stuck without any money. Check out what the weather and climate are going to be like so that you can be sure that you’re packing all of the right clothes. Lastly, a first aid kit might seem like overkill, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

So, what about you? Do you like traveling? What keeps you from traveling more? Let us know in the comment section below.

(Did you enjoy this blog post?ย Follow me on Bloglovin and never miss any of my posts!)

Images free at Pixabayย & Unsplash

1. March 26, 2017 / 10:59 am

I’ve been traveling quite a lot and actually mostly alone. I think most important think to keep safe has been usage of common sense. I have been going around NYC, Chicago, Detroit and many huge, partly dangerous cities alone or with my friends. If I have had a bad instinct of some area I avoid going there (or taking a taxi instead of walking alone), also not looking like a) rich or b) tourist are always good ideas in my opinion. Additionally it’s always good idea to be sober and going around when the sun is up if you’re not quite sure about the safety of the area.

2. March 26, 2017 / 12:33 pm

I love travelling and the only thing keeping me from not doing it more often is mostly finding the right time to do it. I always over pack in terms of clothes, medicine and beauty products, to be sure I have everything ๐Ÿ˜€

3. March 26, 2017 / 1:09 pm

I have never been traveling alone. I mean I did go to New Zealand all alone but it was for studying so in the end, there was a framework and I felt quite safe. I lived in different countries and was never fully prepared, I was kinda going with the flow and taking on what would come. They were all study abroad experiences so I don’t know if we can call them traveling strictly speaking. But if I do go traveling alone, I’ll remember your advice. xx Corinne

4. March 26, 2017 / 1:39 pm

I would love to travel more! It’s been awhile since I left Dallas, TX so I’m in need of different scenery. Over packing and not packing the correct things were problems for me or I always forgot something! ๐Ÿ˜Š Thanks for sharing!

5. March 26, 2017 / 4:47 pm

I really want to travel! But have a sick mother to take care of! so sadly never really get a chance to travel! But really found the post helpful, good points!

6. March 26, 2017 / 8:47 pm

These are some wonderful tips! Gosh, I want to travel so badly this year but the farthest I’ll be going is probably Sweden haha ๐Ÿ˜€

7. March 27, 2017 / 3:48 am

I love travelling! I will surely follow what you mentioned specially when I am travelling alone. hihi! thanks for this!

8. March 27, 2017 / 12:08 pm

I love travelling, I’m just waiting to finish my final exams this year and then I plan to go off and explore the world ๐Ÿ˜€

Sophia xx http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

9. March 27, 2017 / 12:50 pm

It would be my worst nightmare when something would happen to me while traveling to a far country. I won’t fly alone any more. Not far at least. I would take the hubs with me ๐Ÿ™‚
    I fly short distances to the Netherlands without him (from Sweden), to visit family, which is absolutely safe. Good tips on your blog! Keeps everyone safe ๐Ÿ˜‰

10. March 27, 2017 / 2:16 pm

I have lived abroad twice (Paris and Moscow) so travelling isn’t that scary for me, but these are amazing tips and it’s always good to step out of our comfort zone to experience new things!

11. March 27, 2017 / 3:51 pm

Travelling alone teaches you so much but it is also very dangerous if you are not careful! These tips are amazing, thank you for sharing it with us. The first time I had to travel alone I got lost and it wasn’t easy to find my way as everyone was speaking in another language! Terrifying but I’m very proud of myself for managing.

Abbi

12. March 27, 2017 / 4:22 pm

This is absolutely great tips and i agreed with this. Sometime, we can found some beautiful places even in our near that we didn’t explored and can be really fantastic place too.

Kintan xox,

13. March 27, 2017 / 9:14 pm

Great list. All the points are so important and make so much sense. Thanks for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

14. March 27, 2017 / 9:41 pm

This is a good list and all these points make a lot of sense. Sometimes the idea of travel is so romantic, but unfortunately, not all places (or people) are the same. Best to be safe than sorry

15. March 28, 2017 / 2:07 am

I love traveling. I have a list of about 30 different places I want to visitโ˜บ

16. March 28, 2017 / 2:56 am

Great tips and definitely something to keep in mind. Traveling has good and “bad”/frightening sides to it and if we keep to some rules we all can enjoy traveling very much.
    Lea, xx

17. March 28, 2017 / 9:31 am

Travelling is the best way to discover best way to find out more about yourself in such a way. I love travelling and have for most of my life.

18. March 28, 2017 / 12:44 pm

I’m traveling next year and I cannot wait! I am frighting off course but I’m doing it with my husband and I feel we make a good team. So that take the fear factor off a little. xx

19. March 28, 2017 / 3:06 pm

Great post, I traveled to Europe for the 1st time alone from South Africa normally I travel with family, I was terrified esp in Germany and France with languages I don’t know,but I had a little note pad where I wrote important words, so that helped a lot xx

20. March 28, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Oooh, thank you! I’ve been planning a lot of traveling this year and this post will surely help. These are such great tips ๐Ÿ™‚