FOUR TIPS FOR TEACHING OVERSEAS

FOUR TIPS FOR TEACHING OVERSEAS

Does the idea of living abroad and experiencing new cultures excite you? Perhaps you are thinking of applying for a teaching job overseas?

While the idea may seem exciting, it is important that you plan everything instead of just getting on a plane and looking for a job. If you are serious about teaching overseas, read through the tips below so that you can be sure to have the best experience.

1. Learn the local language and familiarize yourself with the culture

– knowing the language will go a long way in your adjustment period in a foreign country, especially if you want to explore the area during your free time. It would also be best to be familiar with any cultural differences, such as politics, religion or even just how to dress up. Buy a guidebook and look up language lessons online, better yet try to find someone who lives there who can teach you the important things you need to know. Remember also that there may be differences in the teaching styles that students in that country may be used to. Better make sure that you are able to adjust to their needs.                                                                           4-tips-teaching-overseas

1. Make sure that you have the proper qualifications

– while most foreign countries welcome teachers who reside in English-speaking nations, it is still a good idea to check if you do qualify for the position you want to have. Sometimes it’s not enough that you are just a native-English speaker, as additional experience and training may be required. Maybe you want to have a position in a university instead of just elementary or high school, teaching positions there might require more than just a bachelor’s degree.                                                                                                                                                     4-tips-teaching-overseas

1. Prepare all the necessary documents

– make sure that you will have all the important documents at hand to speed up the process of your application. Making sure that your passport will not expire during the duration of your stay in that country is wise. Have all documents pertaining to your degree or certification at hand as they may be needed when you will need to renew a work visa. Familiarize yourself with the process of work and visa application so that you are ready for whatever may come your way.                                                                                                                            4-tips-teaching-overseas

1. Get a reputable agency to assist you

– if you are not sure what steps you need to take to begin the process of your application, it might be good to get the help of professionals. There are companies dedicated to making sure that teachers get placed in good jobs all over the world. Some even go as far as helping prospective teachers collate all their documents, and they even conduct mock interviews to prepare the teachers. If you are looking to teach abroad, chat to these guys so that you will an idea of the process it takes. They have already placed many teachers in overseas jobs abroad.

Teaching is a hard job but it is also one of the most fulfilling. Make sure you follow the tips above to be sure that your teaching experience will be one you will never forget. And of course, let us know your experiences in the comment section below.  As always, thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Images free at Unsplash

1. Sharon Chanyau
    July 15, 2017 / 2:26 pm

This is super useful. I have friends going to Turkey to teach English and i think this could help them a lot. Some people think because they can speak English well, they can teach too..But i think it requires proper qualifications.

2. July 15, 2017 / 3:33 pm

Great list, I’m not sure everyone would immediately think of an agency when they think of teaching English 🙂 good hints !

3. July 16, 2017 / 2:44 am

I think teaching overseas allows you to experience a different culture and interact with different students as well. It does have its appeal since I love traveling but I will need a subject I feel comfortable teaching first.

4. July 16, 2017 / 5:16 am

These are so helpful and I love all the photos you took! I actually always wanted to become a teacher (I guess I am foreign since I am not a US citizen) but, I am always not sure which path I should take! I already have graduated with a different degree, not education. Any thoughts?

5. July 17, 2017 / 3:05 pm

Awesome tips! I wish I had known about teaching English abroad before I got married 😛 I definitely enjoy experiencing new cultures.

6. July 17, 2017 / 8:44 pm

Awesome!!! Some real great things here! Thank you x

7. July 17, 2017 / 11:01 pm

I have some family members living in China and I’ve thought about going to teach there. I’m bookmarking this post in case I decide to go through with it! Really helpful, thanks!

8. July 19, 2017 / 2:20 am

These are very good tips. Thank you for sharing

9. July 21, 2017 / 8:26 pm

I always thought that teaching overseas is a really awesome experience. So bad I don’t have the patience to teach hahaha. Great tips!

10. August 5, 2017 / 1:32 pm

What a wonderful tips! I could not imagine myself as an teacher or anything tbh 😀

11. August 5, 2017 / 1:33 pm

These are great tips! I could not see myself as a teacher tbh 🙂 although, it’s a respected job 🙂

12. August 5, 2017 / 4:37 pm

Woww…..this a really an amazing tip. I love to read all your article and I’m sure will really help to some of us who really need it.

13. August 5, 2017 / 6:42 pm

Hi, these are great tips for anyone wishing to teach abroad. Thanks for sharing.

14. August 5, 2017 / 10:52 pm

I could not see myself as a teacher. But I have a lot of respect for this profession. Teachers have an important role too. These are the great tips, great blog post! 🙂

15. August 6, 2017 / 1:06 am

I completely agree with Zana’s comment – not a profession I see myself in but I have much respect for it.

16. August 6, 2017 / 2:21 am

These are helpful pointers….I think getting your documents ready is important….it’s even more important to familiarise yourself with the local language and culture…The extra step is needed for better interaction

17. August 6, 2017 / 1:58 pm

You wrote really great tips! It’s just not enough to buy a plane ticket and go out there to find a job. You can end up with no job, no money and no way to go back home. Also, checking the documents is so important. You don’t want they deport you or something.
    BS, xx | http://www.queenbsdiary.com/

18. August 7, 2017 / 5:10 pm

I have done some teaching abroad but only in camps and not full instruction inside a classroom. I have had some friends do it. I am sure they would have loved to have known this stuff you wrote here before going. Thanks for the great information.

19. August 8, 2017 / 12:26 am

Short, precise and clear. You made a nice selection tips, I especially liked the fourth one which sometimes people might have difficulty with or not think about it their options properly. So it is nice to remind them, they shouldn’t forget/neglect this point.