FOUR TIPS TO CLIMBING KILIMANJARO

FOUR TIPS TO CLIMBING KILIMANJARO

Climbing to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa’s most highest point, can be quite dangerous because it takes a great deal of physical training and mental clarity. If you are interested in experiencing what it takes to get to the top of Kilimanjaro, it is best to do so with professionals such as those with Kandoo Adventures. They can ensure that you will reach the summit safely and have a great time while accomplishing this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Before you head out on your trip, this article will provide you with some tips.

1. Be physically prepared

While climbing may not sound particularly challenging to you, it is still best to be prepared. Many tour guides recommend that you train your body weeks in advance of attempting this experience. Some ways that are helpful to train would include walking uphill with a heavy backpack on for an extended period of time. This will help to mimic the sensation you can expect to have while on your trek. If you do not have access to a large hill, consider wearing a backpack and working out on a stairmaster machine or a high incline treadmill. This can help simulate what you may feel on the trek. While it will not be exactly the same, it will help you prepare your body for an intense workout.

climbing-kilimanjaro

2. Be mentally prepared

If you are not accustomed to spending your days and nights in the outdoors, you may find it to be a challenge at first. Living on the mountain will be primitive and everyday luxuries like taking a shower or going to the bathroom indoors is not a viable option. It is best to mentally prepare yourself for having to use the bathroom outdoors, having to deal with a variety of bugs and other pests, or not being able to shower. While this may not seem like a big deal to you now, it may be a challenge for you in the moment. It is best to think about these things now and consider how you may handle uncomfortable situations. Being mentally prepared can help you avoid disappointment later on when you are on your trek.

3. Pick the best route for your abilities

There are many routes to choose from and you should pick the one that is best for your abilities. It is not the time to push yourself to the max and try to prove to yourself that you are a Navy Seal when in fact you are not. It is also important to understand that you will need to take your time and allow yourself at at least 7 days to trek the mountain.

climbing-kilimanjaro

4. Bring the right gear

There are many things you will need to be prepared for and one of the most important is your gear. Be sure to pay close attention to the equipment that you purchase for your feet as they are of utmost importance. Your feet will get you to the top of the mountain more so than any other part of your body. Be sure to have comfortable and durable hiking boots that are waterproof. Break them in before you arrive in Africa. It is also important to purchase a down coat that has about 65 fill of down. Do not forget to bring a Nalgene water bottle and a Camelbak brand water carrier. If you do not stay hydrated while on the mountain, you will not be successful in your endeavor.

And what about you? Have you ever thought of climbing a mountain?

Let us know in the comment section below.

Images free at Pixabay & Unsplash

1. August 4, 2017 / 2:35 pm

This is one of my biggest wishes. To be able to climb Kilimanjaro. I couldn’t find the gut yet to do it, but I am working on it. 🙂
    Thank you so much for sharing and reminding me that fears can be overcome.

2. August 4, 2017 / 4:36 pm

Travel tips about how to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa helps thousands of Mountaineering beginners. Though Mount Kilimanjaro is one of easiest 9 Mountains to climb, travel tips helps to maximize Kilimanjaro trekking and summit successful. Tanzania local Mountaineering company, offers a number of hiking destinations to acclimatize and prepare for Uhuru Peak Expeditions. KILIMANJARO EXPEDITIONS & MOUNTAINEERING ADVENTURES LTD organizes Mount Meru day hike, Ngorongoro Conservation Area walking safaris, about 2700 altitude, waterfall day trip tour at slopes of Mount kilimanjaro and Lushoto Usambara Mountains 2 days ecotourism trekking.

3. August 5, 2017 / 1:56 pm

My cousin climbed Kilimanjaro whilst at uni, he said it was one of the toughest but most rewarding things that he had ever done. x

Sophia xx

4. August 5, 2017 / 11:47 pm

Great tips Helene 🥂

5. August 6, 2017 / 3:03 am

I have always dreamed of climbing Kilimanjaro. It looks tough, but definitely rewarding. Awesome tips!

6. August 7, 2017 / 5:23 pm

Such great tips! I was just in Arusha in January and marveled at Mt. Kilimanjaro’s size and brilliance! Wasn’t there to climb, though seeing it made me want to one day!

7. August 18, 2017 / 7:56 pm

This is really interesting and sounds great adventure. Even I never do this kind of adventure, but I hope one day I can make it.
    Thanks so much for the great tips.

8. August 18, 2017 / 8:44 pm

Hi, great tips that anyone planning to do this should pay attention. I admire anyone who undertakes this adventure, Chloe.

9. August 18, 2017 / 9:31 pm

Wow! Great tips! I love the idea of this, but I discovered (through a CAT scan) that I’m missing the sinus cavity above my left eye. Means I have some breathing issues, so mountain climbing will forever be off my table. :-0

August 18, 2017 / 10:40 pm

Would be cool to climb up there one day! I’ve always been super interested about Kilimanjaro. I played with the thought once but I’m not sure my rheumatoid would allow me to do that.

11. Alice
    August 19, 2017 / 12:25 pm

Wow! I barely made it up Vesuvius, I’m not sure I’ll be making this one any time soon! Well done!

Alice | Dainty Alice

12. August 19, 2017 / 3:29 pm

I wish I had the opportunity to climb Kilimanjaro! It’s so breathtaking but I agree that you’d have to prepare yourself both physically and mentally! Wearing a heavy backpack and using high incline treadmill is perhaps the most similar experience!

13. Ally
    September 1, 2017 / 10:18 pm

Oh love this post! I´m totally a hike-fan person, so I would love to hike up to Kilimanjaro 🙂 I think it´s 90% of your mental state to accomplish such a goal 🙂

Ally,

14. September 2, 2017 / 12:06 am

I can only imagine how incredible and rewarding climbing the Kilimanjaro must be and how important it is to be prepared, mentally and physically. Fantastic post!

15. October 6, 2017 / 11:27 am

These are some wonderful tips, especially the one about being mentally prepared. I can’t imagine not have creature comforts of a shower no matter where I have traveled to, so that would probably leave me more cranky than usual….😕 Thanks for sharing!