TRAVEL HACK: FIVE HELPFUL TIPS FOR FLYING WITH KIDS

TRAVEL HACK: FIVE HELPFUL TIPS FOR FLYING WITH KIDS

Planning a vacation trip with your family is a great way to relax and unwind. But if you’ve got kids on tow, things can become exhausting. Depends on how old they are, you’ll be facing a variety of challenges just to get them from one airport to another without losing your sanity. Don’t let the stress get to you. Here are 5 helpful tips for flying with kids:

helpful-tip-flying-kids

1. Keep them occupied

We know how kids have very short attention spans. The last thing you want to deal with is your child throwing a tantrum on the plane. Keep them busy by loading your phone or tablet with games and apps. Take time to research on mobile games that might interest your child. Pre-load your mobile with new games and introduce them to your child. Having something new to play around with is helpful in keeping them focused and silent. If your baggage permits, take interesting travel toys with you too. Bring a small bag with small toy stuff your children can play with. You can fill it with crayons, plushies, toy cars, and puzzles.

helpful-tip-flying-kids

2. Pack only the essentials

It’s challenging enough to cut your own luggage, what more if you’re packing for the whole family? Take time to list down just the important things you’ll be needing on board. If you’re carrying a diaper bag for your baby, try to fit in your essentials inside too like your passport, wallet, and cellphone. This eliminates the need for another bag. Invest in lightweight accessories like a compact baby carrier or a foldable stroller that fits the overhead bin. Avoid bringing work related items with you, like work documents or even a laptop. You’re going to be busy attending to your kids so forget work in the meantime and enjoy your time with your family!

3. Dress comfortably

Wear clothes that are comfortable and functional so you won’t have problems moving around. A lot of clothes nowadays are both stylish and comfy so you won’t feel conscious about your outfit. There are a lot of unique and breathable clothes that sustain sweat and odor, and are even waterproof. It’s nice to be ready to tackle anything messy and physical! Also, don’t forget to wear quality walking shoes that you can slip in and out of easily.

4. Be ready for embarrassing moments

The moment your child goes on a tantrum in a public place, you’re instantly put in a spot light. When you’ve finally reached your wits end and you still can’t get your child to calm down, be ready for the walk of shame. It’s when you take your child on a walk to pacify them. But in a plane with narrow aisles and less than a hundred feet to trot back and forth on, it’s a rather embarrassing feat for anyone.  Even so, it’s something you have to deal with if worse comes to worst.

helpful-tip-flying-kids

5. Try to make them sleep

How great would it be if your kids just doze off for the entire duration of the flight? While it doesn’t always happen, you can always try. Bring their pillow or blanket with you, and hope the familiarity of their own bed will sink in and make them sleepy. Another idea would be tire your kids before your flight. If you have a morning flight, keep them up the entire night watching movies or playing games. By exhausting them before their flight, there’s a high chance they’ll be sleepy on the plane.

So, what about you? Do you often travel with your kids? Do you have any tips for flying with children? Share it with us in the comment section below.

Images free at PixabayUnsplash

1. Kaylee
    September 4, 2017 / 8:33 pm

I love this list, dressing comfortably when traveling is so important! I also really like your idea of bringing a small bag with toys to keep the little ones occupied.

2. September 4, 2017 / 8:43 pm

Fantastic list and it give some tips and inspiration for those who really need it and parents. Brings some own toys is always a great idea.
    As I always show that when I’m on travel. XO

September 4, 2017 / 10:36 pm

Great list! Though, I disagree with the embarassing moments thingy – why would you have to be embarassed of your own children if you’ve brought them up to behave well in certain places and situations😅

4. September 4, 2017 / 11:17 pm

Great tips! The first time I flew with my twins, they were only 8 months old. Luckily, it was a Lufthansa flight and two bassinets were built into the bulkhead. If they are very young, a bottle at takeoff and landing is good for the ears.

5. September 5, 2017 / 10:03 am

I can relate to this post so well. We went from traveling alone to traveling with a baby which was a walk in the park compared to traveling with a toddler. These are excellent tips and will be sharing this across social media. Many first time moms like we will be grateful for this! ❤️

6. September 5, 2017 / 10:50 am

I flew with friends kids this summer and it was absolutely fine – iPads, books and snacks to kept them going. It was so much fun!

7. September 5, 2017 / 2:24 pm

great tips – for me the dress comfortably is priority!
    long haul flights with kids, you need to be comfy!

8. Sayanti Mahapatra
    September 5, 2017 / 5:46 pm

Dressing comfortably is of paramount importance. Indeed 🙂

9. September 5, 2017 / 6:36 pm

Great tips. I’m sure that traveling with kids is easier if they are either sleeping or well-entertained. Btw I love the new look of your blog. It looks a lot more fresh and professional! 🙂

10. September 5, 2017 / 8:11 pm

I hate flying with a passion but when the time comes I will use your tips to try and have a smooth trip with my kid!

11. September 5, 2017 / 9:27 pm

Fab tips! Planning a plane trip with my little soon so this is super helpful, thank you x

12. September 6, 2017 / 12:37 am

Traveling with kids must be a challenge so it is good to read some tips before going onboard. Dressing comfortably is a very good tip for everyone I guess. Having some snacks for kids and their preferred toy might help too. I know they sell on the plane different things, even sweets.

13. September 6, 2017 / 1:07 pm

These are helpful tips especially finding ways to keep them occupied…..it’s so important to be ready for anything..tantrums, embarrassing moments,emergencies….

14. September 6, 2017 / 2:56 pm

Very Clean, well explained fantastic tips for anyone who travels 🙂 Thanks for sharing all the best tips with us. I am gonna refer them all, specially the kids one!

15. September 6, 2017 / 4:40 pm

Talking your kids with you when traveling can be both fun and stressful.

These tips help parents to make family trips much smoother so they can actually enjoy their vacation time.

I love the tip about carrying the essentials. That extra space may come in handy.

16. Jackie
    September 6, 2017 / 5:55 pm

These are really good tips.Once I have kids I know where to find the tips😉

17. Tereza
    September 7, 2017 / 12:46 am

I bet there will be so many parents who’ll find this useful! Every single time I see a kid or a baby at the airport my heart stops a little because I really feel for the parents. So much stress! x

18. Lea
    September 7, 2017 / 1:03 am

This is a great list. I remember to always loved to draw. My sisters and me always used to draw in restaurants, on planes etc. kept us quiet for hours.
    Lea, xx

September 7, 2017 / 10:59 am

So many helpful tools for making flying with kids easier. Keep them occupied with toys or books it’s a great idea.

20. Marina
    September 8, 2017 / 12:03 pm

I don’t have kids yet but it seems that some of your tips could be useful for me too 😉