FIVE TIPS TO CHOOSING THE RIGHT DIAMOND FOR YOUR CUSTOM JEWELRY

FIVE TIPS TO CHOOSING THE RIGHT DIAMOND FOR YOUR CUSTOM JEWELRY

Before you plunge into buying custom jewelry, do you have a trusted jeweler that you prefer to use? It’s a nagging question. Why settle for less when you are creating custom jewels? It is important to find the right person to help you in creating the perfect piece of jewelry that you have in mind. If your custom design includes diamonds, it is critical to find the right one that has a good cut, clarity, size, and color. This article will provide some tips to help you choose the right diamond.

CUT

A cut brings out the diamond’s beauty in terms of fire, brightness, and scintillation. Ideally, diamond companies mainly focus on cutting for beauty. Just like color or clarity, it is hard to quantify a diamond’s cut. The fact is that cuts will differ from one diamond to another. Also, how the cutter decides to polish and shape it matters as well. Sometimes the cutting is merely used to hide inclusions. Contrarily, a heavy cut fetches more value because of carat weight. On the face of it, some cuts may seem bigger than others but light in weight.

SIZE VERSUS WEIGHT

You may wonder why the abbreviation “ctw” is used in diamond jewelry. In other words, it is the carat total weight. For example, if a ring is ½ CTW it means the diamond in it has a total weight of 0.5 carats. The carat is not a measure of size but weight. Similarly, 100 points are equivalent to 1 carat.

COLOR

Believe it or not, diamonds come in a variety of colors like fancy yellow, grey, brown, vivid yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, white and much more. The colored diamonds are a splendid substitute for white diamonds. Darker diamonds can hide the inclusions nicely. Yet, red diamonds are the rarest, spiking their prices. An inclusion can affect the quality of diamond because it blocks light from flowing through that diamond. When buying pay attention to color especially one with lower clarity.

tips-choosing-right-diamond-custom-jewelry

BUDGET

First off all, it is necessary to completely understand the 4Cs in order to identify a beautiful diamond that fits your budget. The 4Cs comprise of carat weight, color, cut and clarity. If you are one that will scrutinize the book value of a car before purchasing, you should do the same with your diamond. Likewise, you need to make comparisons between the value and quality of the diamond based on the grade. While the pricing depends on the weight and clarity of the stone, a fancy cut would definitely cost you more.

If you are setting a specific budget for your custom jewelry please consider other fundamental factors – the location of your inclusions and the colors. Visit a jewelry store today to find out the latest trends and prices of custom diamond jewelry.

WHAT’S YOUR PERSONAL STYLE AND DESIRE

You may want something completely different but not far from conventional jewelry. It does not make much sense to buy a color or shape you don’t like. Your desire and taste reign.

Finally, you need to understand a few issues that can change the value of the diamond. Some stores serve high-end markets while others concentrate on inexpensive products. Besides the jewelry styles, look out for the prices and how well a store is established in the community.

Which is your favorite diamond style? Let us know in the comments section below.

Images free at Pixabay

1. February 8, 2018 / 9:48 pm

It’s great that you elaborated on the fact that the weight and size of jewelry can mean completely two different things. My younger brother is looking to get some custom jewelry for his wife but does know how to buy it. I’ll be sure to talk to him about working with a professional and to remember the difference between weight and size.

• February 11, 2018 / 9:30 pm

Glad that this article helped you and your brother!

February 10, 2018 / 1:02 am

Definitely great tips. They say diamonds are the girls best friend, though I’ve never had any interest in them whatsoever 😀 this, on the other hand – was such an interesting read 🙂

3. February 10, 2018 / 10:59 am

I’ve never been a big diamond person but this was so interesting and good to see that you clarified between size and weight.

• February 11, 2018 / 9:31 pm

Yes, this can make a big difference!

4. February 10, 2018 / 12:24 pm

I checked all those points when we were choosing my wedding ring 🙂 great advice!
    In the end, I went for a “not too big” diamant 💎 because I am not this person to have a huge ring, but it was a very high quality diamant 🙂

• February 11, 2018 / 9:33 pm

Yes, sometimes quality is better than quantity!

5. February 10, 2018 / 4:10 pm

This is such a great article!!! I would have to say my favorite is a cushion cut!! And… I have to say that I like a little bit of carbon in the diamond. Not too much for it to be visible but just enough to give it more of a depth of field look.

• February 11, 2018 / 9:33 pm

I am so glad you liked this post Whitney!

6. February 10, 2018 / 6:42 pm

I have had no idea about the diamonds. If I’d go for some diamond peace I’d pick something simple and small. 😉

• February 11, 2018 / 9:34 pm

Small can be great as well, quality is the key when it comes to diamonds.

7. February 10, 2018 / 8:07 pm

My favorite diamond style is round (that’s what my engagement ring is) because they reflect more light so they look a little brighter than other cuts. However, I wouldn’t turn down a pair of earrings made from princess cut diamonds, lol!

• February 11, 2018 / 9:36 pm

Cute, stud earrings looks really classic yet glamorous!

8. February 11, 2018 / 6:58 am

I have always wondered about how and what exactly should I be looking for when choosing the right diamond jewelry! This helps a lot seriously. Next time, I won’t be much confused!

• February 11, 2018 / 9:37 pm

I am glad this article is helpful Kanishka!

9. February 11, 2018 / 10:56 am

Excellent post, Helene! I was reading a lot about these when I was planning for the wedding ring. After all, I decided to go with just my engagement ring but I learned a lot about buying diamonds. It’s crazy how one diamond can be same carats with others but because of it’s shape look significantly bigger – or be a lot more expensive because of the clarity and cut. That’s really a fascinating world!

• February 11, 2018 / 9:38 pm

Thank you so much dear Nora! I read a lot to clarify all the details.

10. February 11, 2018 / 4:55 pm

This is a very useful guide! I typically don’t wear too much in the way of jewelry and, when I do, it’s very dainty. My husband did a great job picking out my ring and I never had to focus too much on those details. However, I know I’ll want an addition to my ring in the coming years and I may have to be more involved with that!

11. February 11, 2018 / 11:22 pm

This is really great! I have been wanting to customize my engagement/wedding ring. Now I know what to do!

12. February 12, 2018 / 9:02 pm

Oh my word can you believe I am a woman and haven’t even thought as far as diamonds! I know where to come if I need the info though!

13. February 13, 2018 / 5:50 pm

My first attraction is usually personal style/ colour then budget. Thanks for this detailed post. Love it

14. February 17, 2018 / 1:56 am

I like that you provided some tips for choosing the right diamond for your custom jewelry such as considering the color. There are actually many types of colors to choose from for your custom diamond jewelry such as yellow, grey, orange green, and blue. You may want to match the color of the jewelry with your personality. Nevertheless, it’s always good to do a little research and check which diamond color is highly recommended. If I were to purchase custom jewelry, I would make sure to keep this in mind. Thanks.